Congratulations to Elisa Cauldwell and her new baby boy, Evan Joseph. Born April 8,2015.
Both Lil and Len Press received Honorary Doctorate Degrees at UK's May 9, 2015, graduation cermony. The Presses, who live on Gloucester Dr., were among the first residents of Westmorland. Both have done much to shape Kentucky: she with her work for mental health, the Appalachain Regional Commission, as the director of the Governor's Scholars Program, and as the founder of the Women's Network for Democratic Principles; he as the founder of KET (Kentucky Educational Television).
Lowell H. Press, in April, 2015, won the Independent Book Publishing Association's Gold award for fiction for young readers 13 to 18 years old. He was inspired to write The Kingdom of the Sun and the Moon, his first novel, during a summer spent in Vienna, Austria, in 2001. While his wife oversaw the logistics of a telecom acquisition in the city, Lowell and their two-and-a-half-year-old son spent many a day at Schönbrunn Palace. The magnificent world of the palace and its glorious park lent itself well to a story about a kingdom of mice existing in the remarkable age of the Habsburgs, Beethoven, and the young Duke of Reichstadt, the son of Napoleon Bonaparte. Lowell lives with his wife, Sasha, their two sons, Logan and Hayden, and their two cats near Seattle, Washington.
Hello everyone in Westmorland ,
The solar facility was announced in the recent KU newsletter that came with your bill. Here's the story.
The Kentucky Public Service Commission approved KU's request to construct what will be the state's largest solar photovoltaic facility in Mercer County at the utility's E.w Brown Generating Station.
The 1 a-megawatt solar facility is expected to go online In 2016 and cost $36 million
The solar array Will consist of solar panels and associated transformers, switches and other equipment. The number of solar panels will be driven by the final desiqn of the solar array selected from the competitive bidding process. KU will own 61 percent of the array and its sister utility, LG&E, will own the remaining 39 percent – a split based on the relative load of the two utilities dunnq daylight hours.
The new facility is part of our ongoing commitment to maintaining a diverse generation portfolio that provides safe, reliable, least-cost energy to the communities we serve.
For the last couple of months there has been a gray cat like a tabby hanging around our house. The cat is well groomed and appears to be pretty well fed. Last night and this morning (Jan. 14, 2015) the cat is sitting on my deck wanting to come in. We have not been feeding it. If you are missing a cat, call me…Robert Riggs, 277-7078.
A depression in the street on Westmorland Rd. was caused by the storm drain. A repair crew was hard at work Monday, Oct. 27, fixing the drain and street.
A number of the storm drains that line our streets empty into back yards. Ultimately, the water winds up in Elkhorn Creek which borders the north and east sides of Westmorland. This has cost considerable time, money, and frustration for some residents. Grass clippings from yard mowing, leaves and sticks clog and obstruct the drains and most likely promotes rapid algae growth in the creek. So…PLEASE DO NOT BLOW OR LEAVE YOUR GRASS CLIPPINGS IN THE STREETS. Also, refrain from throwing cans and other trash into the street.